Covid-19 – Social Distancing Guidelines
At present we are all being advised to follow the above guidelines. Patients who are at risk (those aged over 70 and those with an underlying health condition which means they are advised to have a flu jab) are being advised to be particularly stringent in following these measures. These patients will not be receiving a letter from the government and should discuss with their employers what steps, if any, they should take with regard to adjustments in the workplace.
A small percentage of people are being classed as very high risk, or extremely vulnerable, and are being contacted regarding more stringent measures that they should be taking – which is being referred to as shielding.
These conditions are:
- Solid organ transplant recipients.
- People with specific cancers:
- people with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy
- people with lung cancer who are undergoing radical radiotherapy
- people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia, lymphoma or myeloma who are at any stage of treatment
- people having immunotherapy or other continuing antibody treatments for cancer
- people having other targeted cancer treatments which can affect the immune system, such as protein kinase inhibitors or PARP inhibitors
- people who have had bone marrow or stem cell transplants in the last 6 months, or who are still taking immunosuppression drugs
- People with severe respiratory conditions including all cystic fibrosis, severe asthma and severe COPD. Follow this link for more information about the classification of severe asthma.
- People with rare diseases and inborn errors of metabolism that significantly increase the risk of infections (such as SCID, homozygous sickle cell).
- People on immunosuppression therapies sufficient to significantly increase risk of infection.
- Women who are pregnant with significant heart disease, congenital or acquired.
If you think that you should be on the extremely vulnerable list and have not received a letter then please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will review your notes. Please be aware though that we must follow the strict criteria outlined above to ensure that the strict shielding measures are effective.
March 1st, 2020